From Sonya's Kitchen: Buttery Breakfast Scones
Our mother, Sonya, has graced us with her delicious buttery breakfast scone recipe. We promise they are a coveted family favorite, uniquely crisp and buttery! Serve these scones up for any occasion, split and spread with butter, jam, or cream for breakfast, tea or coffee. They are a true treat to whip up for yourself and your family and friends!
- 2 cups flour & dusting flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons evenly cut very cold butter
- 2 tablespoons cut up shortening
- 3/4 cup heavy cream+ lil more for brushing
- One egg, whisked
- Dried currants, dried apricots,
- dried blueberries or (you pick)
- Heat oven to 375°. Combine flour, baking powder, salt & sugar in large mixing bowl &
- mix well. Cut in shortening & cold butter.
- In separate bowl, whisk eggs & add cold cream. Add to dry ingredients, just until incorporated.
- Add fruit & stir. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Pat or roll to appx 3/4” thick -
- flour cutter & cut out scones (love the ruffled edged ones)
- Place on cookie sheet with parchment paper - leave a little space ...
- Brush lightly with heavy cream & sprinkle with light dusting of turbinado sugar.
- Bake for appx 15-17 min, or until slightly browned.
- Serve with butter & your favorite homemade jam.